On 02/14/2013 03:35 PM, Rick Beldin wrote:
Hi...

I've been working with both RHEV and Ovirt and can see distinct changes
and improvements with regards to how Ovirt is emerging and changing.

One area that still disturbs me is in the area of recovery and cleanup,
specifically around the ovirt-engine (rhevm) node.

I've observed a few things about the project:

- backup of a engine db seems to be a fairly manual process
   with many steps.  There are many files listed that need to be backed
   up manually as listed in the RHEVM admin manual. pg_dump seems to
   automate the dumping of the db, but other config files are left up
   to the admin.

- restoration appears to be equally complex

- engine-cleanup (rhevm-cleanup) doesn't always cleanup

- there appear to be instances where the only way to get a solid base
   is reinstallation.  I've removed and reinstalled components so many
   times it is now second nature.  ;)

I'm curious about:

- Are there technical issues (beyond the code not being written yet) that
   prevent backup and restore procedures from working correctly to save
   and restore an engine environment?   I would expect that a test for
   that operation would be to setup an environment, take a snapshot,
   and restore the whole thing to another management node.

- Are all the config files properly identified?  The RHEVM Admin
   manual has an extensive list but is it exhaustive?

- What technically prevents engine-cleanup from really *cleaning*
   a system?  My expectation would be that I should be able to run
   engine-cleanup and completely wipe out the setup.  All databases,
   certs, config files and the like returned to their original,
   pristine state.   Perhaps another script - engine-restore-defaults? -
   needs to go beyond where engine-cleanup goes today?

As a support professional, these are areas that I think warrant
investment and I wonder what is gating the development here.

Thanks,

Rick

Hey Rick!

Firstly, thanks for the time and effort you have put into this, it is really appreciated.

Secondly, I created wiki page [1] with the set of requirements for such utility/feature that you discussed here, this would help in developing it. Please feel free to comment/provide feedback.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Backup_And_Restore_Engine

--

Best regards,

Alex Lourie