Thanks Noam!

On 02/21/2013 01:52 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:
After an interesting presentation by Dave Neary today we started
thinking about the persona[*] of the ovirt project users
We focused on the users of the new coming feature of UI plugins.
And this was our vision of an active user:

Name: Dan
Age: 25
Job position: an integrator at a medium sized service company
Technical level: computer savvy person with interest in gadgets and
innovations.
     Has about two years of java coding experience, but coding may not
     be his main focus at work.
Reason for using the UI Plugins feature: After getting requests from
his costumers for simple log monitoring feature, the integration
team leader have decided that implementing this as a Plugin for
ovirt
  would offer a more centralised solution and has assigned dan to
  start getting familiar with it and give him a time estimation for
  completion.

Interesting that this came the same week as the Nagios plug-in was announced on the list ;-)

My follow-on questions: what does Dan need from the oVirt project? Tutorials and documentation on writing a plug-in, I imagine, perhaps a plug-in template or example he can read, understand and modify to fit his needs. Does he need/want a way to distribute, promote, update, and manage his plug-in through oVirt.org? Perhaps he'd like users to be able to tell him whether they like it, ask him questions?

By creating a more accurate persona(s) of the user base we could more
easily understand the needs of the users and steer the project in
more productive and helpful ways for the people that really need it.
It would be very interesting to see what others think this "person"
is like and what does he need.
so who do you feel is the likely user?

I think that we definitely have a number of types of UI plug-in developer - perhaps another one might be a start-up who wants to promote their product by integrating into oVirt? Or perhaps someone like NetApp or HP, a partner working ot integrate their hardware solutions?

It would be really interesting if someone had thought about and put together user profiles or personas for people like that ;-)

(for those watching at home, I split our group into smaller groups, and indeed there were two groups who came up with profiles like those above).

Thanks also Doron for the vote of confidence!

Regards,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13