On 03/07/2013 04:36 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
Hi Rob,

On 03/06/2013 05:59 PM, Rob Zwissler wrote:
On one hand I like oVirt, I think you guys have done a good job with
this, and it is free software so I don't want to complain.

But on the other hand, if you release a major/stable release (ie:
oVirt 3.2), but it relies on a major/critical component (clustering
filesystem server) that is in alpha, not even beta, but alpha
prerelease form, you really should be up front and communicative about
this.  My searches turned up nothing except an offhand statement from
a GlusterFS developer, nothing from the oVirt team until now.

It is not acceptable to expect people to run something as critical as
a cluster filesystem server in alpha form on anything short of a
development test setup.  Are any other components of oVirt 3.2
dependent on non-stable general release packages?

What is the latest release of oVirt considered to be stable and
considered safe for use on production systems?

It seems like there has been conflation of two things here - I may be
wrong with what I say, but having checked, I do not believe so.

With oVirt 3.2/Gluster 3.4, you will be able to manage Gluster clusters
using the oVirt engine. This is a completely new integration, which is
still not in a production Gluster release.

However, it is still completely fine to use Gluster as storage for an
oVirt 3.1 or 3.2 managed cluster. The ability to use Gluster easily as a
storage back-end was added in oVirt 3.1, and as far as I know, there is
no problem using glusterfs 3.3 as a POSIX storage filesystem for oVirt 3.2.

Vijay, Shireesh, Ayal, is my understanding correct? I am worried that
we've been giving people the wrong impression here.

Yes, your description is right.

Thanks,
Vijay