From: Richard W.M. Jones [mailto:rjo...@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:58 PM
To: Jonathan Horne
Cc: Itamar Heim; Laszlo Hornyak; users@ovirt.org; Allon Mureinik
Subject: Re: [Users] trouble with imported windows VM

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:14:50PM +0000, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> This is my current gotcha.  If I import it with a single disk from KVM (C
> drive only), its successful.  If I add the 2nd disk to KVM and import it, it
> will import both disks, but I get the error at the beginning of this thread.
> If I detach the 2nd imported disk, it boots again.
>
> Now, I made another VM on kvm that contained only my D drive, and imported
> that.  After the import, I got this:
>
> [root@d0lppc021 ~]# virt-v2v -i libvirt -ic
> qemu+ssh://root@rnd8/system -o rhev -os d0lppc021.skopos.me:/opt/nfs
> -of qcow2 -oa sparse -n ovirtmgmt ws08-svr-3Donly
> ws08-svr-03-0_copy.raw: 100%
> [=====================================================================
> ====================================================]D 4h09m19s
> virt-v2v: No root device found in this operating system image.
>

> The D drive contains only things like SQL db files and other related data.
> Am I using virt-v2v incorrectly for this 2nd disk (in either scenario, a
> single VM with 2 disks, or even on a standalone (and albeit unbootable) VM
> with just the D drive)?

The bad news is that virt-v2v won't work on a data disk.  It has to be
presented with either just the operating system disk, or all disks at once.

The good news is that you don't need to convert data disks!  virt-v2v knows
nothing about them, and would do nothing to them.  Simply copy the data disk
over to the export domain using 'scp' or 'dd' or whatever.

Rich.

Fedora Windows cross-compiler. Compile Windows programs, test, and build
Windows installers. Over 100 libraries supported.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW