Not sure what a good method to bench this would be, but:

An NFS mount point on virt host:
[root@ovirt001 iso-store]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test1 bs=4k count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
409600000 bytes (410 MB) copied, 3.95399 s, 104 MB/s

Raw brick performance on gluster server (yes, I know I shouldn't write
directly to the brick):
[root@gluster1 iso-store]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=4k count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
409600000 bytes (410 MB) copied, 3.06743 s, 134 MB/s

Gluster mount point on gluster server:
[root@gluster1 iso-store]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=4k count=100000
100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
409600000 bytes (410 MB) copied, 19.5766 s, 20.9 MB/s

The storage servers are a bit older, but are both dual socket quad core
opterons with 4x 7200rpm drives.

I'm in the process of setting up a share from my desktop and I'll see if I
can bench between the two systems. Not sure if my ssd will impact the
tests, I've heard there isn't an advantage using ssd storage for glusterfs.

Does anyone have a hardware reference design for glusterfs as a backend for
virt? Or is there a benchmark utility?

*Steve Dainard *
IT Infrastructure Manager
Miovision <http://miovision.com/> | *Rethink Traffic*
519-513-2407 ex.250
877-646-8476 (toll-free)

*Blog <http://miovision.com/blog>  |  **LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/miovision-technologies>  |  Twitter
<https://twitter.com/miovision>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/miovision>*
 Miovision Technologies Inc. | 148 Manitou Drive, Suite 101, Kitchener, ON,
Canada | N2C 1L3
This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any
attachments and notify us immediately.