Hi,

I'm just setting up some storage for use with oVirt and am wondering why I
might choose glusterfs rather than just exporting a raid array as iscsi.  The
oVirt team seem to be pushing gluster (though that could just be because it's a
Red Hat product).  Can anyone answer this one?

What I have come up with is as follows.

For:

-          easy to expand

-          redundancy across storage devices/easy replication

-          high availablility

-          performance

-          it's kind of cool :)

-          maintenance?

Against (these are guesses):

-          performance? (multiple layers of filesystems everywhere - fs in vm +
image on gluster + gluster + block filesystem)

-          complexity

-          maintenance?

Any help here is appreciated.  Also, does the underlying block level filesystem
matter here?  VMs running under ovirt would be typical business applications -
file serving (samba4), email, databases, web servers, etc.

Cheers,
Justin.