On 10/19/2014 04:48 PM, Frank Wall wrote:
Hi Doron,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 11:42:47AM -0400, Doron Fediuck wrote:
KSM is controlled by MoM, which gets its policy from the engine through
VDSM. MoM will call ksm directly as needed when needed. If you choose
to disable it the policy needs to get updated.
Can you please check your mom logs and see if there are any errors there?
I wasn't aware of mom.log, thanks! :-) After another host reboot
and a manual "Sync MOM Policy" it seems like the setting finally came
through:

2014-10-19 15:57:18,211 - mom.Controllers.KSM - INFO - Updating KSM
configuration: pages_to_scan:64 run:0 sleep_millisecs:10

Now the ksmd process is still there, but it remains idle.

Indeed ksmd process will always be there. The ultimate place to check whether it's working or not is /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run file. "1" for running and "0" for sleeping. mom.log is reflecting its value and MoM process will change it as needed.

I've tried this multiple times before upgrading to 3.5.0 GA
today. Maybe it was broken between RC and GA.

I'll keep an eye on this and open a BZ in case the setting will
change again.

Regards
- Frank