On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 07:44 -0500, Lev Veyde wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> If the agent is compiled with py2exe (and as you got .exe files it means it
> was compiled with py2exe) then the executables are self contained, and you
> don't need to install Python separately in each VM.
>
> All you need is to download and install VC runtime, which you can download
> from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582
>
> That should resolve the issue.
>
> BTW, we have oVirt WGT (Windows Guest Tools) RPM, with ISO which contains the
> installer that will install the oVirt Guest Agent (including VC Runtime), as
> well as drivers etc. automatically for you.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lev Veyde.

Haven´t tried what Lev said, using the new ISO, but as the person who
wrote the wiki page, yes, you need to install _either_ python or, as Lev
said, the VC runtime for the exe's to work on each guest.

In practice though you create a template with this installed _one_ time,
then spawn the rest of your VM's from that. But e.g. converting lots of
VM's that came from another virtualization platform you´d need the VC
runtime (or python) and exe's installed in each VM for the guest agent
to work.

Do you know there´s a third-party package manager for windows called
"Chocolatey", kind of like yum for Windows? That together with Puppet
(or plain-old SCCM) makes Windows management lots easier.

/K

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar