I am using iometer (http://www.iometer.org/) to test the IOPS from one of the
vm.
As for IOPS is more trying to test the performance of block, rather than real
file transfer.

In my environment, I am using 10Gbe to make two gluster nodes be replicated.
And I mount it to vm as a volume. I tested the performance both for SAS and SSD.
This is my current result with iometer.

Test ID

Application

Block Size (Bytes)

Read/Write %

Random/Sequential %

I/O Performance Metrics

iscsi-hdd

iscsi-ssd

Guster,HDD

Gluster,SSD

1

Web File Server

4K

95%/5%

75%/25%

IOPS

195.28

2400.63

208.50

646.75

2

Web File Server

8K

95%/5%

75%/25%

IOPS

193.97

2225.73

179.89

649.93

3

Web File Server

64K

95%/5%

75%/25%

IOPS

180.50

1055.05

158.28

402.15

4

Database Online Transaction Processing

8K

70%/30%

100%/0%

IOPS

163.60

2415.90

132.13

308.46

5

Exchange Email

4K

67%/33%

100%/0%

IOPS

167.03

2685.33

145.92

294.56

6

OS Drive

8K

70%/30%

100%/0%

IOPS

163.60

2407.02

146.11

310.82

7

Decision Support System

1M

100%/0%

100%/0%

IOPS

74.24

207.42

81.14

112.20

8

File Server

8K

90%/10%

75%/25%

IOPS

191.20

2102.32

359.54

526.86

9

Video on Demand

512K

100%/0%

100%/0%

IOPS

100.32

327.19

136.66

162.48

10

Traffic Simulation

8K

50%/50%

75%/25%

IOPS

238.28

1923.91

301.05

297.70

11

Web Server Logging

8K

0%/100%

0%/100%

IOPS

3488.47

3644.33

290.33

282.04

12

SQL Server Logging

64K

0%/100%

0%/100%

IOPS

1423.29

1375.33

182.67

168.64

13

OS Paging

64K

90%/10%

0%/100%

IOPS

1215.74

1211.01

381.17

355.99

14

Media Streaming

64K

98%/2%

0%/100%

IOPS

1350.96

1365.22

457.28

455.49

The issue for GlusterFS I found is

-          It can not retain the nature of SSD and SAS, such as SAS is strong
for sequential access. SSD is strong for random access.

-          In some case, especially for SSD, the performance is pretty bad.

Thanks,
Cong