Hello Olivier,

first sorry Aleksandr for hijacking the thread, I am planning to buy
some AP7900 right now for some hosts without management boards and
wanted to tap on your experience with them:
- Did the outlet switching work well with ovirt?
- Did you need to modify anything in ovirt (eg. create custom fence agents)?
- Why replace the master switches (old age?)
- Are the AP7900 working well also?
- What exactly do you mean by 'some additional hardware'? I suppose you
mean the switch itself and not any additional things beside the switch?

Thanks, any input is really appreciated.

On 19.01.2015 11:23, Olivier Navas wrote:
> Hi !
>
> As you pointed, it wouldn't be safe if ovirt only tried to communicate with
> the host.
>
> This is why Ovirt (and other cluster software) include a way to power cycle
> hosts. If host is not responding, for any reason (software or hardware
> failure), before cluster migrates vms, host will be fenced (power off and on
> again) by an other host in the cluster.
>
> You need some special hardware to manage power cycling, and you need to
> configure it on "power management" section of host parameters.
>
> On the HP servers we use, we can configure ILO as power management method.
> This way, Ovirt can control power of the hosts as if we used the server web
> interface to power cycle the server. It works very well for us (since ovirt
> 3.4 or 3.5) and does not require some additional hardware, but I think it
> will not work if a hardware failure has an impact on ILO hardware (don't know
> if it may happen).
>
> You also can add some specific hardware to manage power supplies. I used to
> buy APC masterswitch (replaced by apc AP7900) for this purpose, but this
> requires some additional hardware and is not as convenient as ILO (IMHO).

> In both cases, you have to ensure that you always provide power to your
> servers, your switches, and your power management hardware with dual power
> supplies, connected to different power lines, different UPS, and so on
> because if a single power failure can turn off both your server and your
> power cycle mechanism, then Ovirt won't be able to recover.

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767