Hi,

OK since my hosts are still CentOS 6.6, I will schedule downtime.

Will removing it this way also require the additional disk space in the storage domain?

Rik

On 02/11/2015 02:03 PM, Elad Ben Aharon wrote:
Indeed, removing the disk snapshot from the 'Disk Snapshots' subtab will
remove only the snapshot of the disk, not the disk itself.
Regarding snapshot removal while the  VM is running - this feature is
pretty new (live snapshot merge). AFAIK, this feature is tech preview
for 3.5. It also depends on the OS you're using on the hosts. RHEL 7.1
supports it, but again, as tech preview.
Therefore, the safest way to remove the snapshot of the disk would be to
do it while the VM is not running.

*From: *"Rik Theys" <rik.th...@esat.kuleuven.be>
*To: *"Elad Ben Aharon" <ebena...@redhat.com>
*Cc: *users@ovirt.org
*Sent: *Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 2:44:55 PM
*Subject: *Re: [ovirt-users] Can't remove snapshot due to low disk
space        on storage domain?

Hi,

I created the snapshot on the Snapshots subtab of the Virtual machines
tab. I did this when my engine (and host) was running oVirt 3.4. It
is/was a snapshot of the entire VM (I deselected the memory state).

I since upgraded the engine to 3.5.

When I look at the snapshots subtab of the virtual machine, I see the
Current snapshot which is "Active VM" and the snapshot I created before.
This snapshot is a snapshot of both the OS and data disk.

I can not delete the second snapshot when the VM is running. If I power
down the VM, I can't remove the snapshot as it brings up the error I
mentioned before.

However, when I look at the disk snapshots subtab of the storage tab
(like you suggested), I see both disks with a snapshot and I can select
"Remove" there while the VM is running. Is it safe to remove them this
way? This will only remove the snapshot and not the disk (and data) from
my (running) VM?

Regards,

Rik