On 03/12/2015 12:01 PM, Sven Kieske wrote:
> On 12/03/15 16:24, Bob Doolittle wrote:
>> Is it really the case that *nobody* is able to change resolutions for their
>> ovirt/SPICE Ubuntu Guest VMs? And that according to launchpad only *4*
>> people have claimed they are affected??? That seems hard to believe.
>>
>> Is anybody else out there using an Ubuntu Guest, and is able to change
>> resolution for their SPICE console to anything but 640x480 (which is, for
>> all practical purposes, unusable)?
> Well I still don't use spice, it seems very alpha/beta to me.
> Also these dependencies seem insane, for a server installation:
> xserver-xorg-core

Definitely - if you want a server installation, don't install a desktop distro.
But if you want desktops from your guest (e.g. User Portal/VDI), Xorg is
inescapable (at least until Mir/Wayland are out), and of course will have many
dependencies (the desktop itself will have even more, particularly for Gnome or
KDE). For connecting to desktops, in my experience Spice is preferable to VNC.

I swear I have used Ubuntu desktops in guests before, and didn't run into this
problem. I feel either something has changed recently, or I'm doing something
wrong. Things are much too broken to be plausible as "typical". I know I didn't
have to live with 640x480 consoles.

Still hoping somebody can point to upstream for Spice/VNC. The Spice Wiki is
full of broken links (a bad sign, I would say).

-Bob