On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

On Apr 9, 2015, at 10:49 , Brandon Merjil <bmer...@ken-ohki.org> wrote:

I looked at that as well but ovirt is using gPXE, and I my situation there is no loop. it just stops after trying once. Is there an api reference for the run once option. I'd like to have some thing to point to if I start asking the foreman group about this.

I believe Sven is right; RunOnce is not relevant if you speak about reboot within the guest OS. I suppose that's the case. It is the same QEMU process then and the only difference might be in PXE bootrom, possibly a gPXE bug.

We're still running oVirt Engine 3.5.0 on Fedora 19, but I recently upgraded our hypervisor nodes to CentOS 7 (and then 7.1). I've had no end of trouble with the boot rom images available for CentOS 7.1 nodes. There are two sets of files and one set of symlinks:

  * /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-*.rom
    -> actual files
    -> installed by qemu-kvm-rhev package
    -> the default images used by oVirt-installed qemu-kvm

  * /usr/share/ipxe/*.rom
    -> actual files
    -> installed by ipxe-roms-qemu package

  * /usr/share/qemu-kvm/pxe-*.rom
    -> symlinks pointing to ../ipxe/*rom images
    -> installed by qemu-kvm-rhev package

I'll note that the qemu-kvm-rhev package is provided by the oVirt team; it's not part of the stock CentOS repository.

In our environment, the rhel6-*.rom images won't accept responses from our DHCP server (dhcpd on CentOS 6), while the iPXE images fail when loading the 64-bit installation kernels for very new distributions: CentOS 7.1, Ubuntu 1410 and 1404, and Debian sid.

In the end, I punted. I extracted the iPXE images from the Fedora 20 ipxe-roms-qemu and tasked cfengine with pushing them into place:

10222000.rom -> /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-pcnet.rom
10ec8029.rom -> /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-ne2k_pci.rom
10ec8139.rom -> /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-rtl8139.rom
1af41000.rom -> /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-virtio.rom
8086100e.rom -> /usr/share/qemu-kvm/rhel6-e1000.rom

That's the only solution that works for me.

NOTE: The ROM images must be the same on all your hypervisor nodes; if they aren't, live migrations will fail.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com