----- Original Message -----

[snip]

I have been thinking about this over the weekend, and I want to get my two
cents in for a possible solution before the meeting tomorrow. Ironically, I
will be unable to attend the weekly sync on April 15 due to a doctor's
appointment for my daughter... but this in no way reflects that I am not taking
the weekly meetings seriously.

I agree that in their current format, the weekly meetings can best be served by
a newsletter format. An Etherpad could work, too, though I am concerned that it
may fall out of date, since such rolling documents can get stale and a weekly
newsletter would be deadline-oriented and thus less likely to be missed or
ignored by contributors.

You will note that I stated "in their current format." I still firmly believe
that it is imperative we have some kind of real-time public meeting for any
interested members of the oVirt community. We often lament that there is a lack
of "outside" contributions into oVirt. Closing the door on one way for users
and developers to reach the rest of the oVirt community is a step away from
being open. Mailing lists are not always enough. But if the meeting has turned
into a weekly status report, then perhaps that is not serving the broader
community as well, either.

What I suggest, then, is a series of "office hours," where a rotating set of
oVirt team members will commit to being on IRC to answer questions and be
generally available. This could be done by one or two people, a few times a
week/once a week, and not even a whole hour. Once a schedule is figured out, it
would be posted and people would be openly encouraged to participate. This
would be an open session on IRC... support questions, contributor inquiries,
and just general commentary. It may be quiet sometimes, and sometimes it could
be contentious, but the important thing would be that the community would know
the office hours are there and they can use the time to address their questions
directly to the oVirt team. This would reduce the requirement to attend a
weekly IRC meeting by many people, but, if spread out a bit, will actually
increase formal presence on the IRC channel.

I hope this suggestion is something that can help. I recognize that we all can
use an hour of our lives back from yet-another-meeting, but the importance of
real-time availability cannot be understated.

Peace,
Brian

--
Brian Proffitt