----- Original Message -----

For this please check:

http://www.ovirt.org/Changing_Engine_Hostname

> >> I thought to do the following:
> >> - change the hostname to the old server (all-in-one)

Before exporting?

When you write such a plan (either for your self or for posting),
differentiate between the hostname (output of 'hostname') and resolution
(i.e. changing /etc/hosts or dns).

> >> - update the dns server

If you have to change names etc., I'd suggest to use CNAMEs. E.g.,
something like:

host1 IN A addr1
host2 IN A addr2
engine-vm IN A addr3
my-engine IN CNAME engine-vm

And use 'my-engine' for the official name, so pass this one to
the rename script, while setting the VM's hostname to 'engine-vm'.

Pick whatever names you want of course.

This way, 'my-engine' is a functional, logical name, not tied to
any specific machine (physical or virtual). If one day you decide to
do another change, you can just change this CNAME to point to wherever
new place you need. E.g. if one day you decide that you want a cluster
of two VMs active/standby and a floating IP address, you'll have:

engine-vm1 IN A
engine-vm2 IN A
clustered-engine IN A (managed by the cluster software)
my-engine IN CNAME clustered-engine

> >> - install the new server manager virtualized with old hostname
> >> - add storage
> >> - add the new server as a host
> >> - expoxt the virtual machines from old server
> >> - import the virtual machines to new server
> >> - test the virtual machines on new server
> >> - shutdown old server
> >> - reinstall old server as a host
> >>
> >> What do you think?

Didn't comment on the rest of your plan, because I am not sure what
are your uptime requirements, how easy (or not) it is to test old and
new machines (with same IP?), etc.

Plan well and if possible test. You can do at least some of the testing
using nested-kvm (if you do not have enough hardware).

Feel free to consult us if needed :-)

Good luck and best regards,
--
Didi