On Sep 10, 2015, at 20:35 , Michael Kleinpaste
<michael.kleinpa...@sharperlending.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> So I ran into that high mem usage thing. The problem I have with patching is
> that this is a live system so I can't do it mid day.  Can anybody tell me if
> it is possible to just restart the vdsm service or does the host have to be
> in "maintenance mode" before restarting it?  It is using gluster storage, if
> that makes a difference as well.

Hi,
you can restart vdsm without any effect on running VMs. Other than short
interruption of communication between engine and host. It can cause a short CPU
spike on startup, so do that with caution when you run tend or hundreds of VMs
on a same overloaded host.
Obviously, while vdsm is not running, the system is a bit more vulnerable to
failures, but as long as you don't do that in the middle of a migration or a
power failure you're good:)

Thanks,
michal