Hi Nicolas,

what works for me in 3.6 is creating a new network for gluster within oVirt, marking it for gluster use only, optionally setting bonded interface upon NIC's that are dedicated for gluster traffic and providing it with an IP address without configuring a gateway, and then modifying /etc/hosts so that hostnames are resolvable between nodes. Every node should have two hostnames, one for ovirtmgmt network that is resolvable via DNS (or via /etc/hosts), and the other for gluster network that is resolvable purely via /etc/hosts (every node should contain entries for themselves and for each gluster node).

Peers should be probed via their gluster hostnames, while ensuring that gluster peer status contains only addresses and hostnames that are dedicated for gluster on each node. Same goes for adding bricks, creating a volume etc.

This way, no communication (except gluster one) should be allowed through gluster dedicated vlan. To be on the safe side, we can also force gluster to listen only on dedicated interfaces via transport.socket.bind-address option (haven't tried this one, will do).

Separation of gluster (or in the future any storage network), live migration network, vm and management network is always a good thing. Perhaps, we could manage failover of those networks within oVirt, ie. in case lm network is down - use gluster network for lm and vice versa. Cool candidate for an RFE, but first we need this supported within gluster itself. This may prove useful when there is not enough NIC's available to do a bond beneath every defined network. But we can still separate traffic and provide failover by selecting multiple networks without actually doing any load balancing between the two.

As Nathanaël mentioned, marking network for gluster use is only available in 3.6. I'm also interested if there is a better way around this procedure, or perharps enhancing it.

Kind regards,

Ivan