On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Will Dennis <wden...@nec-labs.com> wrote:

> n/m, found this URL cleverly concealed in the output of “—help” ;)
>

> http://www.ovirt.org/Ovirt-engine-backup
>

> Still would be good to know how I could get a console...

You have more options:
1. You can just ssh to the engine VM; if you deployed using the appliance
you were asked about setting its root password via cloud-init.
2. Since 3.6.1, the engine will import the hosted-engine storage domain and
you'll see the engine VM in the engine. You could open its console from
here as for other VMs.
3. You could directly connect to it with VNC/spice also from other hosts:
on the host where the engine VM runs:
  [root@c72het20151222h1 vdsm_logs]# hosted-engine --add-console-password
  Enter password:
code = 0
message = 'Done'
on your machine:
   /bin/remote-viewer vnc://<host_ip>:5900
4. You could use the VM virtio serial console if the VM is configured for
that (and the engine appliance is) as described here:
http://www.ovirt.org/Serial_Console_Setup#I_need_to_access_the_console_the_old_way