On 12/28/2015 12:43 AM, Roy Golan wrote:

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Fil Di Noto <fdin...@gmail.com <mailto:fdin...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I've managed to get hosted-engine running but could use some direction
    for what comes next.

    repo)
    All hosts are in default/default datacenter/cluster
    All 4 hosts are running glusterd
    HE is installed on glusterfs volume, replica 3, on hosts 1,2, and 3. (
    started with replica 4, but removed 4th brick to satisfy HE --deploy)

    Datacenter is not initialized

    Issues:
    Attach hosted_storage to Default datacenter fails
    New volume dialog doesn't allow me to select a datacenter (list is
    empty)

    Questions:
    1. Why doesn't replica 4 work as a glusterfs volume, is this just
    because of the installer or is there a more fundamental reason?

3 way replica is the officially supported replica count for VM store use case. If you wish to work with replica 4, you can update the supported_replica_count in vdsm.conf

    2. I assume the reason I can't create new volumes is because I don't
    have a data storage domain configured yet. I want all of my data
    storage to be glusterfs. How do I escape this chicken/egg puzzle?

No chicken and egg here I think. You want a volume to be used as your master data domain and creating a new volume in a new gluster-cluster is independent of your datacenter status.

You mentioned your hosts are on default cluster - so make sure your cluster support gluster service (you should have picked gluster as a service during engine install)

If you mean, creating new gluster volumes - you need to make sure the gluster service is enabled on the Default cluster. The cluster that HE creates, has only virt service enabled by default. Engine should have been installed in "Both" mode like Roy mentioned.

    3. What question should I be asking that I am not?

    Thanks