> On 12 Mar 2016, at 17:04, Nir Soffer <nsof...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Samuli Heinonen <samp...@neutraali.net>
> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> It seems that oVirt 3.6 is still using FUSE to access GlusterFS storage
>> domains instead of using QEMU driver (libgfapi). As far as I know libgfapi
>> support should be available in Libvirt and QEMU packages provided in CentOS
>> 7.
>
> We started to work this during 3.6 development, but the work was
> suspended because
> libvirt and qemu do not support multiple gluster servers [1]. This
> means that if your single
> server is down, you will not be able to connect to glister.

Since this is only used to fetch volume information when connecting to Gluster
volume I don’t think it should be treated as blocking issue. If we lose one
storage server that’s a problem we have to fix as soon as possible anyway. Even
then hypervisors are already connected to other storage servers and there is no
need to fetch volume information again. Also there are other ways to work
around this like having a separate hostname that is used to fetch volume
information and which can then be pointed to server that’s up.

It would be great if libgfapi could be available even as selectable option so
it could be tested in real world situation.

> Recently Niels suggested that we use DNS for this purpose - if the DNS
> return multiple
> servers, libgafpi should be able to failover to one of these servers,
> so connecting with
> single server address should good as multiple server support in libvirt or
> qemu.
>
> The changes needed to support this are not big as you can see in [2],
> [3]. However the work
> was not completed and I don't know if it will completed for 4.0.

Thank you for these links. I’ll see if this is something we can try out in our
test environment

Best regards,
Samuli