Von: Nir Soffer [mailto:nsof...@redhat.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 13. Mai 2016 13:24
An: Grundmann, Christian <christian.grundm...@fabasoft.com>
Cc: users@ovirt.org
Betreff: Re: [ovirt-users] volume_utilization_chunk_mb not working

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Grundmann, Christian
<christian.grundm...@fabasoft.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I create a lot of Thin Disk VMs from templates every day, and get
> „paused due to no storage space error“ and „paused due to unknown
> storage error“ on a few of them.
>
> Sometimes the VMs are resumed a few seconds later but sometime not,
> but I can resume them myself.
>

> I tried to set
>
> volume_utilization_percent=15
>
> volume_utilization_chunk_mb=4048

This looks correct if this is in the [irs] section of the configuration.

[irs]

# Together with volume_utilization_chunk_mb, set the minimal free # space
before a thin provisioned block volume is extended. Use lower # values to
extend earlier.
# volume_utilization_percent = 50

# Size of extension chunk in megabytes, and together with #
volume_utilization_percent, set the free space limit. Use higher # values to
extend in bigger chunks.
# volume_utilization_chunk_mb = 1024

To get the correct configuration format, you can do:
python /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/config.py

> in /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf on every Host
>

> But the Initial Size of the Disk is always 1GB and then increments to
> 2GB

Please share the vdsm.conf file with these settings.

> 4GB would be the maximum Size I need before I destroy the VM. So if
> the initial Size would be 4GB the pausing shouldn’t happen anymore

The initial volume size is always 1GiB, regardless of these settings.

After creating 1GiB lv, we extend the lv volume_utilization_chunk_mb megabytes.

So your setting will result in 1GiB lv, and after you write about 150MiB, it
will be extended to 5GiB.

So I guess that you want to use
volume_utilization_chunk_mb = 3072

Which will give you 4GiB lv after the first extend.

We support initialSize argument when creating volumes - use when importing
external vms (v2v), but it is not exposed in the ui.

If you think think exposing it in the ui is a useful feature, you can file a
bug:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=ovirt-engine

Nir