On 05/12/2016 05:35 AM, Bill Bill wrote:

Hello,

Let’s say I have a 5 node converged cluster of oVirt & glusterFS with a replica count of “3”.

Host1 - replica

Host2 - replica

Host3 - replica

Host4

Host5

If I spin a VM up on Host1 – does the first replica get created local to that server?

In the event I move the VM to another host, does the replica of the disk follow the VM so essentially it’s writing to a local copy first or does it “always” write across the network.

Any writes are written to all 3 hosts that form the replica 3 gluster volume. Replica 3 - indicates that there is a 3-way copy of data, and the same data resides on Host1, Host2 and Host3.

Reads however are from local host. So for a VM running on Host1, it will access the data (i.e. read) from the brick on Host1.

For example, with VMware, the disk will follow the VM to the hypervisor you move it to so that the writes are essentially “local”.

I have not been able to find anything on the internet or in the documentation that specifies how this process works. Ideally, you wouldn’t want a VM residing on Host1 that accesses its disk on Host3. Multiple that by hundreds of VM’s and it would create a ton of unnecessary network congestion.