One of the things I don't like very much in oVirt is the LVM on Shared Block storage, but unfortunately there are no other options. One day perhaps a VMFS5 equivalent will come up somewhere.

I would avoid it and put a server in between the SAN and the oVirt Nodes and use NFS in order to abstract it, that would give you more flexibility and keep you away from LVM. But in your case if you don't have 10GbE interfaces you will loose on performance using 1GbE interfaces.

With regards the migration of VMs between different CPU families I'm not sure what is the tolerance of oVirt with it. Depending on the CPUs and the cluster types you may be able to do migrations.So I would keep different CPU families in different clusters.

Fernando