I use LVM2 and Thinprovisioned LVs to put Filesystems and it works with no issues. It's just a question of handling it correctly to tell it how to create each storage chunk that way. The same way those LVs can be used to run VMs as they are in traditional LVM.

Not sure what you mean by cote Linux not supporting it.

Fernando