Le 15/09/2016 à 23:27, Edward Haas a écrit :

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nico...@ecarnot.net <mailto:nico...@ecarnot.net>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I'm trying to setup a nested oVirt for the first time, and
    according to what I read around and experience, some special
    network settings have to be chosen.

    For this first try, the bare-metal host is a Debian, running KVM,
    and the virtual NICs are setup as macvtap in VEPA mode.

On what device you attached it? Bridge? the physical nic?

On my physical host, ifconfig is showing the following devices :
- lo, obviously
- eth0, primary used
- wlan0, not used, WIFI...
- virbr0
- virbr0-nic

The last two devices were created when installing and playing with the KVM Virtual Machine Manager.

When trying to assign one of them to a VM, the only choices are :
- NAT
- eth0: macvtap
- wlan0: macvtap
- custom

and the source mode can be chosen between :
- Bridge
- VEPA
- Private
- Passthrough

My main goal is simplicity, and I'd rather use simple bridging, no NAT, simple.

What would be the simplest choice?

    I'm not up to date with macvtap, but I think I understood that one
    of its limit was that no packet could be exchanged between the
    host and the guests. So far, this is leading me to access my own
    local VMs from another host. Too bad.

    I'm also witnessing frequent loss of packets.

    So far, I'm also seeing that guests can not ping each others, so
    I'm not going further before having solved these basic issues.

By definition: http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/MacVTap

    I'm remembering the good old times of lots of bridges where my VMs
    could be reached by anyone (this was desired), but virt manager is
    not offering me this choice. I also would like to avoid NAT for
    other reasons.

    To you all (4) people who are playing with nested oVirt :
    - which is your preferred bare metal OS?
    - which is your preferred guest (first virt level) OS?
    - which network setups and modes are working best?

    Thank you.

-- Nicolas ECARNOT

Nicolas ECARNOT