> On 16 Sep 2016, at 15:05, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Michal Skrivanek
> <michal.skriva...@redhat.com <mailto:michal.skriva...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> no, that’s not how HA works today. When you log into a guest and issue
> “shutdown” we do not restart the VM under your hands. We can argue how it
> should or may work, but this is the defined behavior since the dawn of oVirt.
>

>> ​AFAIK that's correct, we need to be able ​​shutdown HA VM​​​ without being
>> it immediately restarted on different host. We want to restart HA VM only if
>> host, where HA VM is running, is non-responsive.
>
> we try to restart it in all other cases other than user initiated shutdown,
> e.g. a QEMU process crash on an otherwise-healthy host
>

> Hi, just another question in case HA is not configured at all.

by “HA configured” I expect you’re referring to the “Highly Available” checkbox
in Edit VM dialog.

> If I run the "shutdown -h now" command on an host where some VMs are running,
> what is the expected behavior?
> Clean VM shutdown (with or without timeout in case it doesn't complete?) or
> crash of their related QEMU processes?

expectation is that you won’t do that. That’s why there is the Maintenance host
state.
But if you do that regardless, with VMs running, all the processes will be
terminated in a regular system way, i.e. all QEMU processes get SIGTERM. From
the perspective of each guest this is not a clean shutdown and it would just
get killed

Thanks,
michal