Analyzed the log to find out that the problem was in the creation of the
certs with openssl (missing distinguished name in config). And
/etc/pki/ovirt-engine/{cacert,openssl}.conf were empty!
That lead me to:
yum provides  /etc/pki/ovirt-engine/{cacert,openssl}.conf
yum remove  ovirt-engine-backend
yum install ovirt-engine-backend ovirt-engine  ovirt-engine-dashboard
ovirt-engine-setup ovirt-engine-tools  ovirt-engine-userportal
ovirt-engine-webadmin-portal  ovirt-engine-restapi  ovirt-engine-dashboard

Now i was able to successfully run engine-setup and exit maintenance mode
on the host. Let's see how things unfold within a 30 min. Will keep you
updated!