On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Mark Steckel <m...@fix.net> wrote:
> Yedidyah - very helpful! Thanks.
>
> A follow-up question re the FQDN for the hosted engine: My understanding is
> that the FQDN must be resolvable when "hosted-engine --deploy" is executed.
> However, should the IP that the FQDN resolves to also be assigned/up when
> "hosted-engine --deploy" is executed?

When deploying the first host, this IP can't be up, as the engine vm
does not exist yet.

And, BTW, it indeed needs to be resolvable, but you can change the address
between this prompt and the actual point where we try to connect to it. So
if you can't control the address (say, you use dhcp, and either do not
control it or do not want to use static reservations), you can do something
like this:

1. Choose a fqdn for the engine, add it to /etc/hosts with a fake address
2. Start deploy
3. When the engine vm is up, and got an IP address, edit /etc/hosts on
the host to point to this address
4. Continue as usual.

No need for this if you do control dhcp - you can choose a MAC address,
add a static reservation for it, and supply it when prompted.

--
Didi