Great feature!  I am glad to see you plan to use the existing imageio
framework for transferring data.

Will you allow export of VMs from a particular snapshot?  I guess that's
how you'll have to do it if you want to support export of running VMs.

I think you should definitely have a comment in the ovf to indicate that an
OVA was generated by a oVirt.  People will try to use this new feature to
import random OVAs from who knows where.  I'd also recommend adding a
version to this comment: <!-- Generated by oVirt version 4.1.2 --> or
perhaps even a schema version in case you need to deal with compatibility
issues in the future.

I agree with Yaniv Kaul that we should offer to sparsify the VM to optimize
it for export.  We should also return compressed data.  When exporting,
does it make sense to cache the stored OVA file in some sort of ephemeral
storage (host local is fine, storage domain may be better) in order to
allow the client to resume or restart an interrupted download without
having to start from scratch?

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Arik Hadas <aha...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We would like to share our plan for extending the currently provided
> support for OVA files with:
> 1. Support for uploading OVA.
> 2. Support for exporting a VM/template as OVA.
> 3. Support for importing OVA that was generated by oVirt (today, we only
> support those that are VMware-compatible).
> 4. Support for downloading OVA.
>
> This can be found on the feature page
> <http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/enhance-import-export-with-ova/>
> .
>
> Your feedback and cooperation will be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Arik

Adam Litke