My 0.02€

Cost aside (which is actually not the main reason for the organization I
work for):

  * Avoid putting all your eggs in one basket / vendor. This holds true
    for any particula area. (Virtualization, storage, network equipment,
    server HW). This gives you leverage when negotiating purchases /
    renewals / maintenance contract.
  * The community support for oVirt ABSOLUTELY ROCKS
  * If you are planning to do something with openstack in the short or
    mid term, I think oVirt is a nice path to go.
      o Integration with Glance / Cinder / Neutron is cool.
      o The hypervisor is the same (KVM).
      o I have successfully moved VM images to/from openstack and they
        worked seamlessly.
      o At the same time, the architecture is quite similar to VCenter,
        and import of VMs from VMWare works pretty well .
  * As the compute nodes (hosts) are mostly plain CentOS 7 it is much
    easier to integrate them with whatever you have in place for
    monitoring, configuration management, backup...
  * The user portal with user quotas can work nicely as self-service for
    users, depending on your needs.
  * Version update procedures way less painful with oVirt than with VMWare.
  * On the downside, I think that functionality-wise, VMWare still has
    an edge, but oVirt is good-enough for a lot of use cases.

Eduardo Mayoral Jimeno (emayo...@arsys.es)
Administrador de sistemas. Departamento de Plataformas. Arsys internet.
+34 941 620 145 ext. 5153