On 28/09/17 08:32, Yaniv Kaul wrote:

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Ben Bradley <list...@virtx.net <mailto:list...@virtx.net>> wrote:

    Hi All

    I'm looking to add a new host to my oVirt lab installation.
    I'm going to share out some LVs from a separate box over iSCSI and
    will hook the new host up to that.
    I have 2 NICs on the storage host and 2 NICs on the new Ovirt host
    to dedicate to the iSCSI traffic.
    I also have 2 separate switches so I'm looking for redundancy here.
    Both iSCSI host and oVirt host plugged into both switches.

    If this was non-iSCSI traffic and without oVirt I would create
    bonded interfaces in active-backup mode and layer the VLANs on top
    of that.

    But for iSCSI traffic without oVirt involved I wouldn't bother with
    a bond and just use multipath.

     From scanning the oVirt docs it looks like there is an option to
    have oVirt configure iSCSI multipathing.

Look for iSCSI bonding - that's the feature you are looking for.

Thanks for the replies.

By iSCSI bonding, do you mean the oVirt feature "iSCSI multipathing" as mentioned here https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Storage/ ?

Separate links seems to be the consensus then. Since these are links dedicated to iSCSI traffic, not shared. the ovirtmgmt bridge lives on top of an active-backup bond on other NICs.

Thanks, Ben

    So what's the best/most-supported option for oVirt?
    Manually create active-backup bonds so oVirt just sees a single
    storage link between host and storage?
    Or leave them as separate interfaces on each side and use oVirt's
    multipath/bonding?

    Also I quite like the idea of using IPv6 for the iSCSI VLAN, purely
    down to the fact I could use link-local addressing and not have to
    worry about setting up static IPv4 addresses or DHCP. Is IPv6 iSCSI
    supported by oVirt?

No, we do not. There has been some work in the area[1], but I'm not sure it is complete.
Y.

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:merged+project:vdsm+branch:master+topic:ipv6-iscsi-target-support

    Thanks, Ben