That was my impression too, but unfortunately someone told in this mail list recently that Gluster isn't that clever to work without RAID Controllers and when disks fail it imposes some difficulties for replacement. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could clarify this point which certainly is beneficial to people.

Fernando