It depends on your storage configuration...

 *      if you're using local storage, you can attach an additional
   shared storage to the local one, then move your vms to it and then
   detach this domain from your old ovirt.

After creating from scratch a new domain in your new 4.2 ovirt , you will attach the previous shared domain and finally import vms on it. This operation is nearly similar to the export domain feature, except it only imports vm defintion, so you don't have to copy the disks to the new domain.

 *      If you're already using shared storage, detach it form the old
   ovirt and after attching it to the new one, you just have to
   reimport vms defintion.