On 02/15/2018 11:10 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
..snippity... with regards to oVirt 3.5

that’s a really old version….

I know I'll catch heat for this, but by "old" you mean like December of 2015? Just trying put things into perspective. Thus it goes with the ancient and decrepit Red Hat Ent. 7.1 days, right?

I know, I know, FOSS... the only thing worse than running today's code is running yesterday's.

We still run a 3.5 oVirt in our dev lab, btw. But I would not have set that up (not that I would have recommended oVirt to begin with), preferring 3.4 at the time. I would have waited for 3.6.

With that said, 3.5 isn't exactly on the "stable line" to Red Hat Virtualization, that was 3.4 and then 3.6.

Some people can't afford major (downtime) upgrades every 3-6 months or so. But, arguably, maybe we shouldn't be running oVirt. Maybe it's not designed for "production".

I guess oVirt isn't really for production by definition, but many of us are doing so.

So... not really a "ding" against oVirt developers, it's just a rapidly moving target with the normal risks that come with that. People just need to understand that.

And with that said, the fact that many of us are running those ancient decrepit evil versions of oVirt in production today, is actually a testimony to its quality. Good job devs!