From: <users-boun...@ovirt.org> on behalf of Yaniv Kaul <yk...@redhat.com>
Date: Monday, 26 February 2018 at 14:49
To: Andrei Verovski <andre...@starlett.lv>
Cc: Ovirt Users <users@ovirt.org>
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] Q: VM disk speed penalty NFS vs Local data center
storage

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Andrei Verovski
<andre...@starlett.lv<mailto:andre...@starlett.lv>> wrote:
Hi,

Since oVirt doesn’t support more then 1 host in data center with local storage
domain as described here:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2018-January/086118.html

I have to setup NFS server on node with VMs (on same node) access via NFS.
10 GB shared storage is in the future plans yet right now have only 2 nodes
with local RAID on each.

Q: What is VM disk speed penalty (approx %)  NFS vs Local RAID in oVirt data
center storage?
Currently I have 2 VMs running our accounting/inventory control system which
are critical to storage performance limits.
2 other VMs have very low disk activity.

I don't know, but please remember there's both latency and throughput, both of
which are somewhat affected. Throughput will benefit from jumbo frames, for
example. Unfortunately it may affect latency a bit.
There was an interesting patch that if the NFS was local, bypassed the NFS[1].
It was never completed and merged.
Lastly, chapter 6 at hyper-converged guide (should be available in few hours)
might be an interesting idea for you to consider - a single Gluster that can
later expand.
Y.

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/68822/
[2]