With the default configuration of the web server it is impossible to handle more than 256 *connections* simultaneously. I guess that "ab" is opening a connection for each concurrent request, so when you reach request 257 the web server will just reject the connection, there is nothing that the JBoss can do about it; you have to increase the number of connections supported by the web server.

Or else you may want to re-consider why you want to use 1000 simultaneous connections. It may be OK for a performance test, but there are better ways to squeeze performance. For example, you could consider using HTTP pipelining, which is much more friendly for the server than so many connections. This is what we use when we need to send a large number of requests from other systems. There are examples of how to do that with the Python and Ruby SDKs here: