Hi,
   I gave up trying to restore a backup of my former hosted engine, I never
managed to get engine and nodes communicate again and I need to go on.   So I
installed a new engine (let's try a dedicated one this time) and imported the
storage domains successfully. After attaching and activating them, it seems to
be ok and the first VMs I imported are now running fine.   So I just have to
redefine logical networks and configure them on the hosts, and it is ok ?
Maybe final step will be turning dedicated engine to hosted, I don't know yet.
 Regards

 Le 18-Mar-2018 08:28:15 +0100, d...@redhat.com a crit:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM,  wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > In case of a total failure of the hosted engine VM, it is recommended to
 > recreate a new one and restore a backup. I hope it works, I will probably
 > have to do this very soon.
 >
 > But is there some kind of "plug and play" features, able to rebuild
 > configuration by browsing storage domains, if the restore process doesn't
 > work ?

 It's called "Import Storage Domain" in oVirt.

 > Something like identifying VMs and their snapshots in the subdirectories,
 > and the guess what is linked to what, ... ?
 >
 > I have a few machines but if I have to rebuild all the engine setup and
 > content, I would like to be able to identify resources easily.
 >
 > A few times ago, I was doing some experiments with XenServer and
 > destroyed/recreated some setup items : I ended with a lot of oprhan
 > resources, and it was a mess to reattach snapshots to their respective VMs.
 > So if oVirt is more helpful in that way ...

 If you try this:

 1. Try first on a test setup, as always
 2. Make sure to _not_ import the hosted-storage domain, the one used to
 host the hosted-engine VM.
 3. So: setup a new hosted-engine system, then import your _other_ storage
 domains. Ideally make sure the old hosted storage is not accessible to
 the new system, so that the new engine does not try to import it accidentally.
 4. If you do try to import, for testing, the old hosted-storage, would be
 interesting if you share the results...

 Best regards,
 --
 Didi