On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 9:45 AM, i...@linuxfabrik.ch
<i...@linuxfabrik.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we randomly and constantly have this message in our /var/log/ovirt-
> hosted-engine-ha/broker.log:
>
> /var/log/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/broker.log:Thread-1::WARNING::2018-03-
> 27 08:17:25,891::ping::63::ping.Ping::(action) Failed to ping x.x.x.x,
> (4 out of 5)
>
> The pinged device is a switch (not a gateway). We know that a switch
> might drop icmp packets if it needs to. The interesting thing about
> that is if it fails it fails always at "4 out of 5", but in the end (5
> of 5) it always succeeds.
>
> Is there a way to increase the amount of pings or to have another way
> instead of ping?

Now looked at the source, and I do not think there is a way. It might
be useful to add one, though - and might be not too hard - perhaps
something like this (didn't test):

https://gerrit.ovirt.org/89528

That said, I think it's about time we change the text(s) to imply
that we use this gateway to test network connectivity with ping,
so do not really need to be a gateway, but do need to reliably reply
to pings, and if we do have places where we use it as a gateway,
we should simply ask two questions, or at least allow overriding
in the config file.

Best regards,
--
Didi