Hi Bryan,

i expect a hardware problem.

Have all your servers ECC ram ?

In the past I had a PC (without ECC RAM) and without ovirt,
which regularly produced a defective data block when transferring
an 8GB gzip file with rsync. The error position in file was randomly, but
the defective stored block on disc has always only the first 128 bytes
scrambled.

You see, something like this can happen without any messages or anything like
that.
I didn't investigate further whether the cause was the network card, the RAM or
the drive path or the switch port. But it was clearly reproducible!

my 2 cent.