Thanks again.

De: "Gianluca Cecchi" <gianluca.cec...@gmail.com>
Para: supo...@logicworks.pt
Cc: "Petr Kotas" <pko...@redhat.com>, "users" <users@ovirt.org>
Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 3 De Agosto de 2018 15:39:58
Assunto: Re: [ovirt-users] Re: Pool

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 4:23 PM, < supo...@logicworks.pt > wrote:

Thanks Gianluca

What is the advantage to be in stateless?

José

I think you could read this link:

https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Pools/

and also official RHV doc here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.2/html/administration_guide/chap-pools

In particular:
:
Virtual machine pools are stateless by default, meaning that virtual machine
data and configuration changes are not persistent across reboots. However, the
pool can be configured to be stateful, allowing changes made by a previous user
to persist. However, if a user configures console options for a virtual machine
taken from a virtual machine pool, those options will be set as the default for
that user for that virtual machine pool.

NOTE
Virtual machines taken from a pool are not stateless when accessed from the
Administration Portal. This is because administrators need to be able to write
changes to the disk if necessary.
"

And also
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.2/html/administration_guide/detaching_virtual_machines_from_a_vm_pool

with
"
Ensure the virtual machine has a status of Down; you cannot detach a running
virtual machine.
"

It is quite some time and I thought you had to detach the VM while running,
while the phrase above confirms the opposite.
It is to be understood the time when the changes are deleted in case of
stateless.

You can use pools for temporary stations to give to your guests, or to setup
labs where you want your pool to be already setup and running (the feature of
pre-start) and cleared after students have used it.
Using REST-API (I dont think you can configure from web admin gui) you can
timely check how many free (powered off) VMs remain and dynamically grow the
pool if needed

HIH,
Gianluca