On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 08:19:55 +0300
Edward Haas <eh...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cec...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 7:56 AM Edward Haas <eh...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
>  [...]
> >>>

> >> I meant (b). Option (a) is there to apply the same DNS entries over all
> >> hosts for that specific network.
> >> I do not see a problem of using both.
> >>

> > OK.
> > What is it expected to happen if for example I have 4 active nodes and use
> > a)?
> > Possibly all of them loosing ovirtmgmt connection with possibly dangerous
> > effects?
> >

> I consider touching the management network always as a risk, but it should
> work if you do not have VM/s on it.
> I do not recall if changing the DNS on the Network immediately causes
> setup-network commands to be sent to all hosts.

Changing the DNS on the Network does immediately causes setup-network
commands to be sent to all hosts, after a big warning is shown in web UI.

>  [...]
> >
> > The strange thing is that apparently it made what you say (from a files
> > content point of view) but there is no match if you go into configuration
> > inside web admin gui pages, neither at cluster level, nor at host level.
> > This was what seemed strange to me.
> > Please notice that these hosts were installed in 4.1.x and then update
> > several times up to 4.2.6.
> > So it could be the case of some sort of bug in previous versions and not
> > if I plain install right now in 4.2.6 (not tested)
> >

> >> Upgraded systems (hosts have been added before DNS configuration was
> >> available) will have it empty and you will need to explicitly set it.
> >>
> > It is not my case.
> >

> We will have to check this then. We may have changed the policy on this
> issue due to other complaints.
> (An argument that we should not enforce DNS entries if not explicitly
> requested sounds valid to me)

It is possible to overwrite the DNS per host. This will be reported as
'out-of-sync'. You can explicitly mark the DNS setting of a host as
synchronized to the network.

>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
> >> The DNS entry are supposed to be applied immediately through ifcfg,
> >> rebooting is an precaution to make sure it has been correctly persisted.
> >> And if the management network is not serving VM/s, then no VM evacuation
> >> is needed.
> >>

> > If host is not reachable through ovirtmgmt doesn't fencing take place? And
> > so indirect consequence a move of the VMs it had in charge?
> >

> Correct, but as far as I know it is not immediate. There is a grace period
> in which Engine (and VDSM) attempts to confirm connectivity.
> VDSM will also (try to) revert back to the previous working configuration
> in a "revert" action.
> It may also be a matter of the level of "defence" needed. As mentioned,
> there is a risk in touching the management network and your mentioned steps
> are a way to reduce the risks.
> But lets get another opinion on this, I may be wrong here.

Maybe I did not get the point here.
Except a scenario of adding a host with FQDN instead of IP address to
host engine, I am not aware of a scenario to make the host unreachable
for engine by changing the DNS on the hosts.