Hi,

I'm running Ovirt Engine under CentOS KVM guest installed on qcow2 image on SuSE Linux host (actually corporate file server), VMs managed by Virtual Machine Manager GUI (virt-manager).
On Debian, Ubuntu or CentOS  you can use Cockpit web GUI for same purpose

Disk image backed up weekly to another hard drive, and if necessary, moved to any other Linux distro with minimal effort.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but quite close.
Same can be done with Virtual Box.