https://ovirt.org/documentation/gluster-hyperconverged/Gluster_Hyperc
> > onverged_Guide/
> >
> > /K
> >

> Machine1 only has a very limited amount of RAM, so it's not usable as
> node.
>
> And I'd like to keep the engine outside, at least for now.

OK, no that is not supported. I mean, it was a long time ago but not
any more. I wouldn´t worry about the engine being a VM, it´s acutally
very stable, net positive compared to having it physical, in my
opinion. And more available compared to having hardware outage.

What I would do is set it up as three node hyperconverged and then just
remove "Machine1" from the "Hosts" interface, so it´s not used for
compute.

/K