Am 25.11.2018 um 19:55 hat Nir Soffer geschrieben:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:01 PM Nathanaƫl Blanchet <blanc...@abes.fr> wrote:
> > What are the best pratices about vm snapshots?
> >

> I think the general guideline is keep only snapshot you need, since every
> snapshot has a potential performance cost.
>
> qemu caches some image metadata in memory, so accessing data from an
> image with 20 snapshots should be efficient as image with 2 snapshots, but
> using more snapshots will consume more memory.

The memory will also only really be used when the backing file is
actually accesses. So if you keep very old snapshots, but all data has
already been overwritten and the old snapshot is never accessed, it
doesn't need that memory.

Additionally, starting with QEMU 3.1, cache-clean-interval is active by
default and frees the cached table of a snapshot layer when it hasn't
been accessed for 10 minutes. (You had to enable it explicitly before
that, which I don't think oVirt does.)

> Kevin, do we have performance tests comparing VMs with different amount
> of snapshots?

I'm not aware of a proper performance test where this aspect was tested.

Kevin