I've been using oVirtBackup in the past few years and also I've done more
restores from this backup than I'd have liked. All restores were
successful. I'm pretty happy with this script:

https://github.com/wefixit-AT/oVirtBackup

Well documented, easy to install and configure.

In summary the script uses the API to take a snapshot, convert it to a VM,
export the VM, remove the snapshot. It also removes old backups, checks for
free storage space, and so on.

It's basically set and forget.

I just wrote my own little bash wrapper that will grab the output of the
script and email it to me.

Hope this helps,

-- Peter