On 9/30/2016 10:10 AM, Kevin Hung wrote:
oVirt sees the HCA as SR-IOV capable and it sees the VFs, so I believe I have set up SR-IOV correctly. I was able to do a generic passthrough of the HCA, but I was not able to pass through the VFs to more than one VM probably because they are all in the same IOMMU group. I first tried following the oVirt 3.6 Deep Dive video on SR-IOV [1] but was stuck because of the bridging problem.
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MROZ8D06Y

I was able to pass through the VFs after fixing the IOMMU issue. I had to read up on IOMMU groups and discovered that the PCIe root ports on Xeon E3 processors do not support ACS [1], which is needed for the VFs to be in different IOMMU groups. I was able to plug the HCA into a different PCIe slot which was connected to the PCH instead, allowing VFIO to see the VFs in different IOMMU groups.

The way SR-IOV works for Ethernet network adapters in oVirt seems to be really nice as the scheduler takes care of the pass-through. Is this possible for Infiniband HCAs or is that a technical/architectural limitation?

[1] http://vfio.blogspot.com.ar/2014/08/iommu-groups-inside-and-out.html

Thanks,
Kevin Hung

IMPORTANT!
This message has been scanned for viruses and phishing links.
However, it is your responsibility to evaluate the links and attachments you
choose to click.
If you are uncertain, we always try to help.
Greetings helpd...@actnet.se