"trade-off between time [developing] and time spent debugging such cases when
they do happen"

Your call.  All I know is, it took me over a month to install oVirt, including
three weeks of one-to-one time with Simone Tiraboschi from Red Hat.  He sent me
eleven emails but eventually gave up, baffled as me.  It shouldn't be this
hard.  Others who are having this or similar problems will just abandon oVirt:
("I'm just wondering if I should cut my losses with oVirt"):
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/thread/PZJYNAKPYNQUTTNAXG57HTMQHATWYQGZ/

The biggest challenge is to find the relevant error. What would be useful is a
log aggregator.  If oVirt had a journalctl type app running on the host that
tails ALL the logs including the engine logs from hosted-engine (via ssh),
everything would be in one place and easy to spot.  Currently, you need fairly
detailed knowledge of the architecture and install process to (i) find the log
files (ii) whittle down to the one displaying the problem.  Yes, I know you
guys have a log-packaging app that compresses them up, so they can be sent to
Red Hat for inspection (does this even include hosted-engine logs?).  But with
a journalling app, users would be able to spot the error themselves and most of
the time (if it's not a new bug), fix it on their own like I did.  And yes, I
know once set up, users will have their own log aggregator in the form of
Kibana, Splunk, etc but these don't help during the initial install.