I figured it out.  When ovirt-provider-ovn attempts to connect back to
the engine via HTTPS, it tells the python requests module to use the
specified CA cert file... but that won't work with most 3rd-party certs
because they have an intermediate cert as well.  It appears that the
requests module tries to validate both certs.

Creating /etc/ovirt-provider-ovn/conf.d/99-custom-cert.conf that just
has:

[OVIRT]
ovirt-ca-file=

tells the module to use the regular system CA cert file(s), which works.
This should probably be added to the oVirt doc for using a 3rd-party
cert.

--
Chris Adams <c...@cmadams.net>