On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:37 AM Nir Soffer <nsof...@redhat.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Hi,
>> some clarifications needed: what kind of storage are you using?
>> If block based (iSCSI or FC-SAN) I verified problems on sparse allocated
>> disks and databases (Oracle in my case) during high I/O on datafiles.
>>

> What kind of problems did you have? do we have a bug for this?

The problems I described in the referred thread of my previous answer:
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/thread/S3LXEJV3V4CIOTQXNGZYVZFUSDSQZQJS/

VM has been paused due to storage I/O problem
Managing the vdsm related parameters:
volume_utilization_percent
and
volume_utilization_chunk_mb
mitigated the probability of occurrence but didn't solve definitely.
I didn't open a bugzilla for that

>> So, as you did, I used preallocated for data based disks.
>>

> For best performance, we always recommended preallocated disks. I think
> you will get best results
> with direct LUN for applications that needs best performance.

And I did it, as you recommended, despite not optimized storage allocation,
but solving the VM paused error.
And this was also the reason why I didn't open a bugzilla, supposing the
answer would have been to use preallocated and with thin provisioning not
to be used in this use case scenario...
Thanks,
Gianluca