I was eventually able to solve that problem by using net.ifnames=0 on the
kernel boot command line during the installation of CentOS or the oVirt Node
image, to avoid injecting non-portable machine specific network names and
configurations in the overlay network.

Unfortunately this won't work on more production type environments with bonded
pairs of purpose segregated NICs.

But even then I'd go as far as recommending going with ethX and hand-tuning the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts in case of potential hardware replacements,
rather than trying to correct the wiring in the overlay network while a gluster
node is down. At least with the current documentation.